Holiday shopping is just around the corner. If you’re a surf shop owner, protect yourself and your customers by preparing for winter storms and the ice, snow, and extreme cold that come with them. With these threats, there are increased risks of slipping and falling, car accidents in the parking lot, carbon monoxide poisoning, and even heart attacks from overexertion, shoveling and clearing heavy snow.
Extreme winter weather can leave you without power or phone service for long periods of time. Get ahead of the game by keeping up with weather reports and winter storm warnings. Sign up for emergency alert systems in your area that will give you timely warnings.
A few ways you can prepare are:
- Secure your business with insulation and be sure to keep pipes from freezing. Check batteries in smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. Have extra batteries for radios and flashlights. Generators can be used as a power source but must be properly stored and operated according to manufacturer instructions.
- Be ready with food, water, and other supplies you may need in case you are stuck at work for several days without power. Plan for specific needs including medication and the safety of pets.
- Create an emergency supply kit for your car with jumper cables, flashlights, warm clothes, blankets, bottled water, and non-perishable snacks. Be sure that you fill up your gas tank.
- Keep snow removal supplies including shovels and ice melt where you can easily get to them.
- Have important documents and emergency contact information nearby in case you need them.
At Surferinsurance.com, we’re happy to offer our suggestions and remind you that there are many sources available for additional information online. Taking every precaution will help you weather the storm! Be ready and avoid the risks.
Surferinsurance.com insures Surf Shops, Paddleboard Outfits, Surf Camps and Surf Schools. We’re a leading provider of watersports insurance strategies for small to large adventure outfits across the nation. No matter what the location, businesses looking to purchase, renew, or update insurance plans are invited to call today for a high quality complimentary consultation (888) 683-7808. We’ll get you the most out of your insurance policy with the most cost effective plan.