Surferinsurance.com experts are part of Outdoor Insurance Group, a leading outdoor recreation business insurance provider nationwide. Their advice for all adventure-related businesses: “Don’t be left out in the cold.” It’s time to prepare for winter storms and the ice, snow, and extreme cold that come with them. With these threats, there are increased risks of car accidents, hypothermia, frostbite, carbon monoxide poisoning, and heart attacks from overexertion.
Get ahead of the game by keeping up with weather reports and winter storm warnings. Sign up for available emergency alert systems in your area for timely warnings.
Extreme winter weather can leave you without power or phone service for long periods of time.
A few ways to prepare are:
- Secure your home and business with insulation and be sure to keep pipes from freezing. Check batteries in smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. Have extra batteries for radios and flashlights.
- Generators can be used as a power source but must be properly stored and operated according to manufacturer instructions.
- Be ready with food, water, and other supplies you may need in case you are stuck at home or at work for several days without power. Plan for specific needs including medication and the safety of pets.
- Create an emergency supply kit for your car with jumper cables, flashlights, warm clothes, blankets, bottled water, and non-perishable snacks. Be sure that you fill up your gas tank.
- Keep snow removal supplies including shovels and ice melt where you can easily get to them.
Surferinsurance.com professionals take pride in offering businesses advice on all aspects of safety, reminding them that there are many additional sources available for online. Taking every precaution will help everyone weather the storm! Be ready and avoid the risks.
Surferinsurance.com offers Surf Shop Insurance, Paddleboard Insurance, Surf Camp Insurance and Surf School Insurance, specifically designed with the surfer in mind. Business owners looking to purchase, renew, or update an insurance plan are invited to call today for a free consultation (888) 683-7808. Visit Surferinsurance.com for more information.